Saturday, October 6, 2012

Seeing Movies Alone

I just rinsed face wash out of my eye. And that will likely be the final highlight of my day. Got up, went to work, saw a movie, saw some puppies, came home, washed my face, got face wash in my eye, rinsed it out.

Today my bold move was to see a movie by myself. Jeremy is away on a karate retreat sort of thing, and I'm by myself until tomorrow evening some time. Initially I decided to see a movie while he was gone, and go alone. Then I thought why not ask someone? I rarely hang out with people, I'm not really a friends kind of person I'm discovering, so seeing a movie with someone would be a good opportunity to remedy that fault in my character design. Then I read a post from the blog where I discovered BMO, and it challenged me to see a movie by myself this weekend. So I said to myself, self, you are excellent company. Let us enjoy a film together in a dark cinema where we can quietly make rude jokes about the people around us while also keeping up a humorous commentary on the film itself. And so I did.

I even got all cute and stuff, so as not to look like a total loser going to see a movie by herself. I dressed snappy and adorable, I put some eyeliner on. I even bought myself concessions, cause it was a proper date. My coat smells like popcorn and stale butter now though, which I don't recall ever happening before when I went to the movies with other people. So that's new and intriguing.

I saw Pitch Perfect, which I recommend if you like singing, cute females, cute story lines about friends and love interests, and Anna Kendrick (who is adorable).

I stopped by mom's afterward to see the new litter of puppies, of which I took no pictures. Their eyes aren't even open yet guys. Also, their ears. The little bitches can't even hear themselves whining like they're being abused when you pick them up. I get it, you don't like being lifted. Quiet down. They are kinda cute though, in a worm-puppy like way. I still like my full-sized dog better, but then I'm biased. We live together and she snuggles with me when I watch old movies that Jeremy won't watch cause they're in black and white. She's not phased by that. I'm not sure why...

When I went to take my eyeliner off, which is important to do because otherwise you fall asleep with it and then look disgusting and sloppy in the morning, I had to wash my face afterwards because the makeup remover is oily. That's how I ended up rinsing face wash out of my eye. Because I'm an idiot.

Let me tell you some more about going to the movies alone, since that was the important learning experience of my day. (Also, even if it's all natural, face wash in the eye still really burns. That was an important learning experience. Very important.) It isn't that bad. I kind of enjoyed it actually. Don't get me wrong, seeing a comedy with other people is part of what makes some of the jokes so funny. And if you're with other people you don't feel weird laughing at said jokes. That's one thing I kept coming back to while I sat there in the dark, the only person with no one near them. (Seriously, there weren't even people like, a few seats down from me.) Whenever I wanted to laugh at something, I found myself making a conscious effort to be very quiet about it. Laughing out loud with other people is expected, but laughing when you're by yourself almost comes off as a little crazy. I'm not sure why. If I saw someone in a theater laughing at a joke, I don't know that I would think to myself, 'that person's enjoying the movie' or 'that person is clearly unhinged, laughing at a movie they came to alone.' So naturally every time I laughed, I assumed everyone else who had seen me sitting by myself thought I was sad, crazy, and lonely. I would like to see more movies by myself to see if this constantly worrying what other people think about me while we all watch a movie in the same room even though none of us know each other can be overcome.

In that regard, I wonder if this constantly worrying what other people think of me in my day to day life can be overcome. It's exhausting always worrying about things you have no control over. It's also exhausting knowing you have no control over it, but trying to control it anyway because you're a control freak. Finally it's even more exhausting knowing you're a control freak and yet somehow you can't control that about yourself.

The mind is a terrible thing sometimes.

I brought my own candy into the theater. Important to note. Because I like pistachios and sugar-free candy. Know what the movie theater doesn't sell? Pistachios and GD sugar-free candy! I did buy a Diet Coke though, and I firmly put my foot down when they asked if I wanted to get a bajillion ounces more for only fifty cents. No one needs that much beverage during a two hour movie that they can't even pause so they can get up and pee! Because there's no way a person can drink that much liquid and not have to pee within two hours. Also, a comedy about a cappela singing groups in college is seriously two hours long. That part kinda blew my mind.

Still a good movie.

And a good outing.

No comments:

Post a Comment