Saturday, September 10, 2011

Don't interrupt me when I'm trying to ignore you.

I've reached the level of apathy in my life regarding the human race that sometimes startles me. You know the one. You're sitting out somewhere, maybe on break at work, or outside enjoying the weather, and you have a book in front of you. Or a cell phone, magazine, something that can hold your interest. And someone sits down near you, or they come outside and to where you are, for some reason. You don't say anything to them. They remain there awkwardly for a moment. You think you'll be able to enjoy your book, or text conversation, catching up on trashy celebrity gossip, etc.

And then they start talking to you.

And you don't look at them.

So they keep talking.

You can hear everything that they're saying. You are completely disinterested.

And they keep talking.

Now you're pretending you're reading but you're actually not because you're so pissed off that this person is talking to you when you are clearly not talking to them, but they keep talking anyway, and you can't join the conversation now because you've come too far, and that's even if you wanted to. Which you absolutely do not. You would much rather this annoying god-forsaken individual just shut their damn mouths because you were having a perfectly good time just sitting by yourself and doing whatever the hell you were doing before they arrived needing attention like a starved child. Really though they need a good smack in the face.

If I'm reading, do not talk to me. I can hear you perfectly fine. I am never so engrossed in something, book movie, music, piece of art, sandwich, that my brain loses the ability to utilize my other senses. I know you're fucking there, and I know you're fucking talking to me. I do not care. But what you have to say is so monumentally uninteresting that I have to resort to pretending I can't hear you.

Sometimes, I'll have my head phones in at work or on a trip. My music is never so loud that I can't hear the conversation around me. What if something important is happening? I like to be aware at all times. Sometimes, my music isn't even playing. There is literally no sound coming from head phones. But I just know someone is going to try to talk to me and maybe that conversation or person will be interesting, in which case I take out an ear phone. This is generally the best indicator that I am now ready to converse with you.

Most times, I will leave in the ear phone, and I will stare blankly out of the window, or at something that isn't the person talking to me. This is also an exceptional indication that I do not want to converse with you. Take note. Do not, instead, continue speaking to me.

It makes me want to choke you.

No comments:

Post a Comment